San Diego Comic Con HOT and NOT – More Weird Toys
The announcements of exclusive toys for San Diego Comic Con 2014 are coming fast and furious. Two more toys for discussion today:
NOT – Diamond Select Toys Spirit Yoda Vinyl Bank
Checking in at around $30 and limited to 1500 pieces, this is an oddball piece that (in my opinion) will struggle to sell out. I’m not sure that the “collectible bank” crowd is clamoring for a see-through blue Yoda. And it’s not really functional either. If you fill it with coins, it ceases to be transparent.
A weird idea for a toy.
HOT – Hot Wheels® The Homer
I love this car and I love this episode. While “The Homer” didn’t have “rack-and-peanut” steering, it did have the following features (thanks Wikipedia):
- The Homer has two bubble domes; one in the front, while the one in the back is for quarreling kids, and comes with optional restraints and muzzles.
- According to Homer, the engine sound causes people to think “the world’s coming to an end.”
- There are three horns, as Homer claims that “you can never find a horn when you’re mad.” The three horns play the song “La Cucaracha.”
- The car also features gigantic cupholders, which actually became a feature on many cars in the 1990s onward.
- The car has various outdated features such as bubble domes, shag carpeting, and tailfins. It also has a metal bowler as a hood ornament.
While The Homer had a sticker price of $82,000, this one comes in at a much more reasonable $30. At the same price as the Yoda Bank, this is a way cooler exclusive toy to look out for this July at SDCC.
If I can’t snag one in San Diego, I’ll be on the lookout on eBay for this one.